ADHD Treatment Classifications
by Daniel T. Moore, Ph.D.
1. Medications help with attention and help to reduce hyperactive behavior. Some are also usedto treat daytime sleepiness. They include Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderral (amphetamine,dextroamphetamine), Metadate, Cylert (pemoline), Provigil (modafinil), Methylin ER, Focalin(dexmethylphenidate hyddrocloride), Dextrostat, and Dexedreine spansules. Some of thesemedications are available in longer acting forms such as Concerta (methylphenidate), MetadateCD (methylphenidate), Ritalin LA (methylphenidate), and Adderral XR (amphetamine,dextroamphetamine). Some of the newer delivery methods of methylphenidate include liquid(Methylin), chewable (Methylin) and a patch (Daytrana).
Straterra (atomoxetine HCl) is a non-stimulant medication alternative to treat children withsymptoms of attention deficit and hyperactivity. It is classified as a SNRI, which is believed to prevent the re-uptake of norepinephrine at the cell receptor site. Wellbutrin (bupropion) is ananti-depressant commonly used as an alternative to stimulant medication. To obtain these medications you need to visit a pediatrician, physician, psychiatrist or a nurse practitioner.
2. Nutritional approaches uses vitamins and natural supplements to control for ADHD symptoms. Focus Factor is probably the most popular nutritional formula for ADHD symptoms. Other supplements and vitamins used to increase attention and lower impulsivity include Bcomplex vitamins, pecnogynol, grape seed extract, DHA, and Gotu kola, just to name a few. Good nutrition is good advice for everyone. Be careful not to use a nutritional product like medicine. If you do, you may be only treating the symptoms and not healing the body. However,the right nutritional supplements can have a healing effect on some children with ADHD symptoms. This is especially true when you detoxify the body and then add the right nutritional supplements. Books that provide clear instructions on how to do this can be found at http://www.yourfamilyclinic.com/books/books.html#100
3. Behavioral approaches are methods to treat specific symptoms of ADHD. Parents, caretakersand teachers implement these techniques with the child. If caretakers are consistent in using thetechniques, they are generally affective for many ADHD symptoms. A list that includes many behavioral techniques can be found at http://www.yourfamilyclinic.com/shareware/addbehavior.html
4. Parenting systems use condensed methods of behavioral interventions to treat all symptomsof ADHD. They include 1 2 3 Magic, Dr. Stein’s Caregivers’ Skill Program and Dr. Glasser’sNurtured Heart Approach. Books that describe these parenting techniques can be found at http://www.yourfamilyclinic.com/books/books.html#800
5. Environmental controls include methods to adjust the child’s environment to relieve ADHD symptoms. These techniques include diet, detoxing the body, and having a Nikken Wellness Home. The Feingold diet and the elimination diet are examples of an environmental control. Nikken, a different environmental approach, recommends that children are raised within a Wellness Home (sleep system, air filter, water filter, nutritional products) to help children overcome their ADHD symptoms. Dr. Melaney Caldwell, a pediatrician, believes that a Nikken Wellness Home is more effective than medication for ADHD symptoms. The most comprehensive and the newest methods of environmental controls combined with medical approaches are described in Dr. Kenneth Bock’s book. Dr. Bock attempts to actually heal children with ADHD by eliminating toxins out of the body and providing nutritional products that heal the body and strengthen brain functioning. Dr. Bock also recommends neuro-developmental approaches where necessary.
6. Neuro-developmental approaches attempts to permanently cure the ADHD symptom by working on the neuro pathways believed to be involved in the specific ADHD symptom. Exercises are used to develop neuro-pathways. The same principles are used in physical rehabilitation, developmental vision therapy and speech therapy. EEG biofeedback is a global neuro-developmental approach. The goal is to help the child overcome ADHD issues by giving feedback when the brain emits more beta waves and less theta waves. Playing specific attention games on a video game system are examples of less global neuro-developmental methods. Vision exercises is another developmental approach to cure specific symptoms of ADHD. Dance Dance Revolution is a great game to develop attention skills in ADHD children. Brain Train makes computer software in the form of video games that improve ADHD symptoms. Most developmental learning programs (e.g, Pace Tutoring, DORE, SOI) will also affect attention abilities. According to Pace Tutoring or Rx Learningresearch results, they are able to advance a child's attention skills by four years within a three month period. There are a wide variety of neuro-developmental exercises now available to treat ADHD symptoms. The advantage of these techniques is that once the neuro-developmental pathways are developed or learning has taken place, the results are permanent (unless exposed toadditional toxins or injury).
Knowing the cause of the child’s ADHD symptoms will lead to the best application of the above methods of ADHD treatment. However, for most children with ADHD symptoms, were commend that several delivery methods be employed. Everyone will have their own restrictions in terms of resources (time and money). However, there exists enough methods to treat ADHD symptoms so that treatment intervention can be designed around a family’s resources and needs. For more information, please feel free to contact us at Your Family Clinic, LLC.