|ADHD Bipolar Disorder Learning Disorders Trauma Nutrition Medical The Book Store Educational Products Professional Products Workshops Ph.D. Internships Discussion Forum Web News E-mail: Family Clinic Our Favorite Links Token Joe on ADHD||
Supplements that Sharpen Vision and Hearing
Vitamins C and E, selenium, and the carotenoid found in fruits and vegetables helps eye health. Eating corn, eggs, green leafy vegetables, peppers, red grapes, and pumpkins can also be good for your eyes. Eating carrots does not help vision. Milk thistleand bilberry are two herbs that especially improves vision.
If you are a healthy person your eyes will probably also be healthy. Following is a list of helpful supplements that improves eyesight.
1. Omega-3 oils- Enhances visual perception. Found in fish oiland flaxseed. For the first few days take several grams of fish oil or a tablespoon of flaxseed oil. Lower doses to one or two grams of fish oil or a teaspoon of flaxseed oil after noticing changes.
2. Pregnenolone- A hormone that improves vision and awareness. Start in low doses of 1 to 5 mg, but 10 or 20 mg can be taken a couple times a month as long as you don’t have major medical problems. Acne, headaches, irritability, and overstimulation can be side effects for high doses. Doses exceeding 30 mg can cause heart palpitations.
3. NADH- Temporarily enhances vision. 5 mg is the suggested dose.
5. Acetyl-L-carnitine- Helps visual and mental clarity. Suggested dosage- 500 mg before breakfast.
6. CDP-choline- Also helps visual clarity, which can be noticed in a few hours after taking 250 to 500 mg.
8. Lipoic acid- Another supplement that enhances visual clarity after a dose of 25 to 50 mg.
9. Vinpocetine- Improves visual clarity after one or two hours of taking 10 to 20 mg by helping blood circulation.
These are only a few supplements that help your vision. Others include St. Johns wort, ginseng, kava, ginko, 5-HTP, B vitamins, and CoQ10. These usually have an immediate effect, but lecithin, phosphatidylserine, creatine, and Vitamin Cand Vitamin E have long-term effects.
Really, no formal research has been conducted in the field of hearing, but there are three nutrients that have been known to improve hearing. They are pregnenolone, NAHD, and panothenic acid. The doses are the same for vision, so you can basically improve your vision and hearing at the same time!
If you liked Dr. Sahelian's recommendations, we urge you to read his entire book: Mind Boosters: A Guide to Natural Supplements that Enhance Your Mind, Memory, and Mood. It is avialable at most book stores and at Amazon.com.
Return to Your Family Clinic