Say the Color Game
This is a fun game that involves visual processing with speech. It is a complex exercise designed to improve the brain's ability to process words and meaning. It also improves processing speed when used with a metronome (actual or digital). It is also a good exercise to increase focus abilities.
This games involves reading colored words written on paper. There are three sheets of paper to this exercise and the game gets harder over time. Mastery is where the participant can read the list (Sheet 3) at a relatively fast rate of the metronome, without making a mistake and without losing a beat from the metronome (actual or digital).
Step by Step Instructions: Say the Color Game.
1. Obtain a metronome (actual or digital). Obtain the three sheets of paper of colored words. Set the metronome to a comfortable speed for the participant. Over time and as the participant improves, the metronome is to be set for faster speeds.
2. The participant is to read Sheet 1 and say a word with each beat of the metronome.
3. Mastery is when the participant can correctly read each word to a relatively fast beat of a metronome without making a mistake. It may take several sessions for some participants to reach mastery.
4. When mastery is reached, the participant reads Sheet 2 and says each word to the beat of the metronome.
5. Mastery is when the participant can correctly read each word of Sheet 2 to a relatively fast beat of a metronome without making a mistake. It may take several sessions for some participants to reach mastery.
6. When mastery is reached, the participant reads Sheet 3 and says each word to the beat of the metronome.
7. Mastery is when the participant can correctly read each word to a relatively fast beat of a metronome without making a mistake.
8. When mastery is reached the last step is for the client to say the color of the word and ignore the actual word itself to Sheet 3. For example if the word is blue but the color of the word is green, the participant is to say green. (Note: some participants may need to go back to Sheet 2 which is slightly easier).
9. Mastery is reached when the participant can ignore the word, but say the color of the word correctly on Sheet 3 without missing a beat of the metronome which is set to a relatively fast rate.
Exercise:Say the Color Game.
Time: about 5 minutes.
Recommended Frequency: once a day, 5 or 6 days per week.
Pretest Assessment: the participant has trouble processing visual information or reading smoothly.
Mastery: is when the child can say the color of each word to Sheet 3 correctly and at a relatively fast beat of the metronome without skipping a beat.
Additional comments: This is a simple exercise but involves complex processing skills. Most participants find it fun. Individuals who are color blind will not do well on this exercise at Sheet 2 and above. An easier version of each sheet is provided for individuals who have difficulty with the longer sheets.
For more information on neuro-development, please follow the links below:
Click NEXT to go to the next article in this series
Click PREVIOUS to go to the previous article in this series
The above photograph was taken by DAVID ZHOU on Unsplash. We are grateful.
If you would like, please check out our sponsors. We receive payment on qualified purchases from the Amazon links above and the links below.